Friday, January 29, 2010

Post Game ReCap

First Date with Mr. Princess last night.

Rating: ♥♥♥

We played Trivia. We only had two players but still got 3rd place. I was pretty clutch with my knowledge of bad 90's bands and he knew some famous Asian dudes by name.

The first thing he said to me was, "you don't look like your picture." I still don't know if that was a compliment or a complaint. (Note: I didn't get red hair but perhaps it's slightly blonder than in some pictures)


Conversation did not flow easily.
It wasn't exactly pulling teeth but could be the dating/dentist equivalent of a very forceful cleaning. Scratch that Tartar off!

Perhaps the art of in person conversation is dead? I know I'm not the #1 Pro of Stranger conversation but I at least know how to get a good volley on. (I hope you are enjoying all of these metaphors, if that's what they even are, it's been a long time since I've been in a useful English course, not you, Upper Division English for Business Majors.)

Seriously though, If I say something like, "I was doing volunteer work in Xtown, Texas." What might you say after that? Hint: The answer is not stare and nod. Still stumped? Let me help. Here are some ideas: "What volunteer work were you doing?" "With a particular organization?" "For how long?" "That sounds really cool, I volunteer at blahblah." etc etc. I think this is a serious problem, parents, teach your boys to interact with other humans, PLEASE. Write a song about that, John Mayer.

He bought my beer, which gave him a few points. He has a cool job of designing parts of the space shuttles. He doted on my correct answers; I enjoy basking in the glow of correctness. He texted me after saying he'd like to do it again; I guess he thought it was a good date.

Basically the conclusions are that it wasn't awful and I'm not sure why it wasn't as fun in person as it was in print; I had no burning hot spark of attraction but I will probably give him one more shot just to see.

2 comments:

  1. Designing parts for space shuttles? My gawd darlin' did you hook up with a dreary engineer? Did he have a pencil holder in his pocket? Of course he didn't know how to converse, they don't teach them anything close to what is known as meaningful communication. Our neighbors call our local cul de sac engineer a social illiteral-get the picture. Tried to tell you to ditch that demure picture for that fun and lively one-everybody uses one that is a little older, if it's more flattering. Brush yourself off and find a Mr. Wrong for a few dates and have some fun. AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment #2 Forgot, it's all about them. Guys will think you are a mahvelous date and quite a conversationalist if they spend the better part of the date talking about themselves. 'She is such a good listener' 'It was such a great date' Can't wait to see her again'-and bore her to death with the trivialties of my mediocre existence.

    ReplyDelete