Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Speed Dating Rating

They give you a place to take notes. Forgot to do that. It just feels weird to write while someone is talking to you. They give you a place to write down the date's name. I forgot to write one and in one I wrote my own (see: Freudian Slip, apparently I just want to date myself). Let's rate!

Refresh on Rating System

Mingle guy 1 (name unknown):
I was trying to get a glass of water from the slowest bartender I've ever seen. He asked if I'd been speed dating before. I said no, I don't really know how it works. He kind of explained. I went away to get food.

Mingle guy 2 (John, maybe?):
: From a distance looked cute. Up close looked old. A certified strange bird. DING!

Date 1 (Eric):
♥♥ Kind of dull. Asked if I liked sports. Are guys looking for a girl who likes sports? Or do they just not have anything else to talk about? He was one of at least three who asked that question. Bombarded me with questions like we were playing 20 Questions: The Dating Version, with little to no reaction when I answered. DING!

Date 2 (Jeffrey): Probably my best date of the evening. Really interesting to talk to, especially considering he is an engineer. (Seriously, someone needs to start a non-profit for the poor lonely male employees of Lockheed Martin). I didn't feel the spark of attraction but I wouldn't mind hanging out with him. We also talked at the beginning of the second mingle session. DING!

Date 3 (Axel): This was a really strange one. Apparently Axel is not his real name but didn't say why he has or was using this nickname. He didn't get my Guns n' Roses joke; yes, I went there. I noticed that as the night went on he got excessively drunk and friendly with his other dates. Yikes! DING!

Date 4 (Mark): I really don't remember much about this one except that he is a lawyer, an awkward one, and conversation didn't flow. The only person who I with I felt the 8 minutes dragged on forever. DING!

Mingle guy 2 and Date 7 (Jeremy): This is where the bitter older lady came in to play. She talked right over me to talk to him and he must have not been really interested as he tried to get me to stay in their conversation. Too bad for him, I wanted Sushi. On our date we talked easily but he kind of gave me the creeps. Perhaps it was because he was bragging about how the organizers asked him to attend (suuuure they did).

Mingle guy 3 and also Date 6 (Robert): I grabbed my food knowing I'd have little time to down my snacks before that damn bell rang again. Sat across from the least intimidating/closest to the food fella. He was nice but definitely the typical geeky guy. I like dorks but yeah sorry, no. DING!

Date 5 (Kyle): I really dislike the name Kyle so I was worried for this guy at the start. He was nice to talk to and possibly cute or maybe he just had on a really cool hoodie. I didn't get the vibe from him back so that killed any I may have had towards him. DING!

Date 8 (Gabriel): Oh wait, he wasn't my date he just creepily came over and told me, "Here write my name down so you don't forget it." Then walked off like the creeper he was. Tool.

Real Date 8 (Dave): The problem with common named guys is that chances are I've already dated someone with your name. Double bummer if it was my most serious relationship. He was interesting we talked about Prague. He just had David's name and body shape and been there done that. Sorry, dude. DING!

Bathroom!

Mingle guy 4 (name unknown): I was just trying to sneak out and his big line was about whether I had a date with "close-talker guy." Lousy line. Nothing shows that you are lame like hitting on a lady by mocking someone else, especially when she doesn't know what you are talking about. Looked like he was friends with Kyle. Demotion Kyle.

Left.

Even though I didn't walk away from the experience with any hot date prospects it was still a fun experience and a nice break from what I've been up to over the past month. I don't know if it is completely worth the money if you were going to do it often but perhaps as something fun to do once a year it's alright. I think it's advantageous to go alone because then you really do have to mingle. You could tell the girls who came together because they just grouped together and didn't talk to any guys during mingle time.

I still need to practice my answer to the uber lame question, "What do you do for fun?" Even though it's lame you still need a better than lame answer. I'm currently working with an answer that sounds something like, "I enjoy planning my next vacation." Yes, a bit pretentious but completely true.


1 comment: