Friday, April 16, 2010

That's the End?

After a week (or two) of trying to figure out what I felt like writing here, for the grand conclusion, I give up. I have no overarching theme or amazing tid-bits of advice. I tried to gain some knowledge by reading through all my old posts but mostly, I just found out that I'm pretty funny (when I'm not pretty bitter). The proof:
"~Patent leather is my game face.
~someone needs to start a non-profit for the poor lonely male employees of Lockheed Martin
~I'm a woman of the city. Just not Samantha, per se.
~I thought the scariest thing I might hear on a date this week would be a confession of vegan-ism.
~A sign from Zeus if there ever was one (besides the lightening bolts)
~I must be an incredibly charming drunk.
~I drank wine and showed off my incredibly low tolerance for alcohol."

Beyond all that I feel like I need to express what I will take away from this or what I've learned, perhaps? Let's just go directly to the transcript...

Kristen: So Kristen, it's all over how do you feel?
Me: Well Kristen, I'd have to say I don't feel terribly different. That kind of disappoints me because I'd like to have something wise or dramatic for my reader(s) but oh well.

Kristen: Well you must feel like you've learned something, how about what you learned about internet dating?
Me: That's true. Firstly I think the old, you can't judge a book by its cover, has some truth in internet dating. That is, if the book is the profile or the exchanged messages. Some of the dates I was most excited about because of how the emailing went or profiles looked turned out to be flops (Mr. Princess). By the same token, here I am with Mr. Jetpack dating regularly when I hardly knew anything about him before we met except that he was cute and listened to good music. It may seem scary to just go right into meeting someone after a message or two but I do think it's a more effective use of time.

Kristen: That seems logical, any other tips?
Me: Let see...
DO hit on boys in person, even if it takes an appearance of an ex and four vodka drinks to get up the ovaries to do it.
DO give speed dating a shot, one time. It's kind of fun and makes it obvious what kind of small talk you need to brush up on. Not to mention that there are snacks. It you do go speed dating DON'T go with a group of gaggling girls, that's no different than going out on the town.
DO have a drink or two on a date (obviously don't drink and drive blah blah). We can all use a little release of nervous energy.
I have to stop because I still don't feel expert enough to offer advice with a straight face anymore.

Kristen: What would you say to someone who had considered online (or any other type of organized) dating but has hesitation due to the stigma against it?
Me: Get over it! Kidding, I look at it this way... Do you not look on Craigslist for job openings? Online dating is a resource just like any other. So when you've already hooked up with all the friends of your friends' boyfriends why not expand? I had two lovely bits of advice that made me feel less self-conscious, lovely mother said something like, you know in the old days we had church socials, that's where you'd meet someone, this is like the new-age church social. The other Mr. Jetpack actually had this on his profile (or something like it) I'm going to use all the resources available to me to meet someone new. So do it.

Kristen: What if the potential online dater is more hesitant due to safety concerns?
Me: Understandable but I think also very easy to cope with. First of all, ask yourself, "self, am I creepy?" If the answer is no (I hope it is) and you are thinking of trying online dating then chances are there is another non-creeper also thinking about it. That and just don't be dumb. Always meet in a public place, don't give out your phone number if you don't feel safe, use an email address that doesn't reveal your full name and if at anytime you feel creeped out, trust in that feeling.

Kristen: What was your favorite moment or time in this experiment?
Me: I'd definitely have to say that the week of the dates every night was a lot of fun, as most giant ego boosts are. As odd as it sounds I think it helps a first date if you know that you have one the next day too, less pressure to make this date the one and then in turn less awkward. For me that means I was able to be more like my awesome self.

Kristen: How about your least favorite time?
Me: I don't know if I have a specific time but I can tell you that I had a reoccurring feeling during a lot of the past three months that wasn't the tops. I could compare it to that Sunday evening feeling when you haven't done your school work but you know you better because Monday is coming whether you like it or not. It's a combination of guilt and dread. This is how I often felt when I knew I needed to review the online messages. It felt like work, work that had no point (like memorizing the periodic table, it's always going to be there why would I need to memorize it?).

Kristen: So did you just want to give up?
Me: Many times, actually if not for this blog, I probably would have. It seems cheesy but knowing that a few people wanted to hear my stories and didn't think I was pathetic for doing all of this really helped. That would have been lousy, so thanks for keeping me going.

Kristen: Well, we are all curious what's next? Are you going to become Catholic, develop some guilt, become a nun and then move into a convent or what?
Me: How odd you should ask that since I've had this song stuck in my head all day. As good as I look in a habit, I don't think the church would have me since I'm a bigger problem than Maria could even fathom. That and I can't sing. So, I think I will not go that route. I will keep dating Mr. Jetpack as long as it is fabulous. I will, for the time, leave up the profile on Plenty of Fish, even though I don't really use it at the moment. (Never been much of a multi-tasking dater). I guess beyond that I will just keep on looking for real love, how Carrie Bradshaw of me.

Kristen: Just to check, no more updates after this, really?
Me: I really don't think so. unless of course someone else wants to start their own dating experiment and use this blog. Maybe I'd let you know if Mr. Jetpack and I elope. Since, though most people I know are mere microseconds from wedding bells and Mr. Jetpack and I will NOT be eloping this is probably it. (I'm sad too)

Kristen: Off the record, do you have any unofficial advice?
Me: If possible keep a busy-buddy through a dating experiment. I may have had one through part of mine and it really helped to ease the blow of the bad date. Just make sure you can totally ditch him/her if someone super comes along.

Kristen: Well thanks it's been fun!
Me: I totally agree, thanks to all of you too.

2 comments:

  1. Great. Now I am going to have to start my own dating blog since yours is over. Wait....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eloping is over rated, anyway.

    ReplyDelete